Thursday, January 1, 2015

I'm only Human... :)

Welcome to my blog, I'm happy you're here!  My little yoga corner of the web is inspired by my own practice, my students who I learn from absolutely every day, and any other various tidbits of knowledge and experience I pick up and hope to pass to others who find it useful.

My blog is going to be a bit different than many of the blogs, videos and photos you may see elsewhere:

1.  Many of the blogs and photos depict "full" or "deep" (dare I say, someone's interpretation of what would be "perfect?" ) yoga postures.  It is good to see where a posture can go after possibly YEARS of practice, but what of someone with enough resistance in their body that a full expression or a yoga posture looks, and IS at that point in their practice, impossible?  What of someone starting out in the practice and unable to comprehend in their own body and mind the strength or flexibility required for certain yoga postures?  I worry that people browsing online yoga as an introduction to a yoga practice and only finding "flawless" examples of postures will instantly become discouraged if they see only examples of things of which they are not yet capable.

I intend to demo for the newbies, the "I'm not flexible enough for yoga" people, the ones thinking "I can't even touch my toes; yoga must not be for me."  I'll show you how I work around my own body's resistance, and I'll show you modifications and "cheats" when the full posture is not yet accessible.  And, I will dare to show you my mistakes, my flubs, my "fall on my face" moments, which are part of EVERYBODY's yoga practice, whether they show it on their "online persona" or not.  Differing abilities and what we see as our "flaws" and "mistakes" are what make us human, and those of our yoga practices make us Yoga Human!

2.  The other thing I see regularly on other blogs/videos/photos are demos with flawless hair, the latest in yoga fashion, perfect makeup...   Granted, I enjoy and wear cute yoga clothing, a little makeup, etc, but it is definitely not essential for the practice.  On this blog, my photos and videos will include ones of me in my completely natural state (not NAKED, don't get excited!): no makeup, my old and well-loved yoga clothes that I wear at home, my curly hair perhaps a bit unruly...  This is the real me, a real Yoga Human, and I hope this will inspire you to realize it is not how you look when practicing, what you wear, what "stuff" you have related to your practice that matters.  What matters is that you explore, laugh, play, work, try, fail, breath and experience your body to the absolute fullest!

I am a Yoga Human.  Won't you be a Yoga Human with me?  :)

This is me, sans makeup, post workout.  I am a Yoga Human.


No comments:

Post a Comment